3-4 firm ripe pears – peeled, cored, quartered and diced
3 large eggs – beaten
20g flaked almonds
1. Preheat oven to 180c/160c Fan/Gas 4. Grease and flour a deep 20-22cm loose-bottomed sandwich tin. You need to use a loose-bottomed tin, as the cake is quite juicy and some of the juice will leak out and cause the cake to stick to an ordinary tin.
2. Melt the butter in a pan and remove from the heat.
3. Put the flour, ground almonds, baking powder, mixed spice and 100g of the sugar into a large mixing bowl.
4. Add the ginger, pears, eggs and melted butter to the dry ingredients. Stir well and pour into the prepared tin. Scatter the flaked almonds over the top. Put the baking tin on a baking tray and bake for 45-55 minutes, or until golden brown and springy to the touch.
5. Leave to cool for 5 minutes, then remove from the tin and put on a cooling rack. Before service, dust the top with the rest of the sugar.